Guide to a Happy and Healthy Aging
The golden years are a time when people who have worked their entire lives and was busy raising their families, can finally start taking life easy. People usually stop working and retire by the time they reach 65 years of age and use that time to relax with their loved ones. Retired people also have the newly found free time to travel and to do the things they never had time for when they were working and were involved in raising their children. However, with aging you get some extra freedom, but also the aging process brings with it some additional health and wellness concerns.
As we age we start to have additional health problems that we did not have during our younger years. Physical limitations such as mobility, vision concerns and loss of hearing are typical problems that are associated with the elderly. These limitations can have a restriction on activities that people enjoyed for most of their lives. At advanced ages people start to lose the ability to drive a car, participate in strenuous activities and even living on their own. Once the elderly reach a physical or mental state that they can no longer care for themselves, a difficult decision for nursing care must be made.
In addition to the physical changes that senior citizens face, another big challenge that people face is that of changes in the mental state of seniors. Typically, senior citizens have to deal with memory loss, mental health issues and the onset of Alzheimer’s Disease where the most common tasks are difficult to do. Also, with the loss of memory even the simplest tasks such as cooking and ironing can be a hazardous activity. However, with the medical breakthroughs of today, with proper care, seniors are living longer and having more productive lives at later years, then ever before.
To help you learn more about the problems that senior citizens are facing, and some helpful ideas on how to combat the effects of aging, we have produced this helpful guide. We hope that this guide can be beneficial to you or someone you know.
Alzheimer's Disease and Memory Loss
Exercise and Fitness for Senior Citizens
- Aging Nutrition – Helpful website providing information on how proper nutrition can help with the aging process.
- Exercise and Activity – Collection of information on the need of exercise and moderate physical activity for senior citizens.
- Stay Well Exercises – Useful manual containing exercises to help keep older people healthy.
- Health for Seniors – Informative resource containing a number of links to sites covering important topics for senior citizens.
- Senior Citizens Exercises – Information and suggested exercises that seniors can do that will provide helpful physical fitness.
- Exercise and Fitness – Senior citizen focused page with links to activities that can be safely conducted by the elderly.
Senior Citizen Transportation and Driving Issues
- Senior Driving – Tips and information on how seniors can still be safe drivers while getting older.
- Senior Citizens and Driving – Article providing many questions and answers about seniors having the ability to drive and when to stop.
- Older Drivers – Useful site for older drivers and family to help stay safe and make a decision about the ability to drive.
- Senior Citizen Driving – Informative injury prevention page from the NHTSA discussing the concerns involved with older drivers.
- Safe Mobility for Senior Citizens – Article covering many factors involved with senior citizens driving safely and the potential dangers.
- Driving Resources – Helpful collection of resourceful sites covering a wide range of driving topics including senior citizen driving safety.
Seniors in the Workplace
Elder Abuse and Protection